TGHS was established in 1979 when a group of concerned residents came together to save the beloved Doctors House from the wrecking ball, move it to Brand Park, and take on the gargantuan task of authentically restoring the Victorian home to its former glory. In 1984, with the restoration complete, TGHS officially opened the Doctors House to the public and continues to operate it as a museum to this day.
Built around 1888, the Doctors House is one of Glendale’s two remaining Queen Anne-Eastlake style Victorian homes. It was occupied in succession by four notable doctors, which gave the house its name. Subsequently, silent screen star and filmmaker Nell Shipman lived in the house from 1917 to 1920 with her family and a menagerie that included two bear cubs.
The Doctors House is listed on the Glendale Register of Historic Resources.